View Single Post
      02-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #85
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

It appears not many know the history of the M-brand. I was into BMW before we saw the M designation and M branding.

The M1 project turned into a bit of a fiasco, but had made its mark with the public. The company looked to capitalise on that commercially, It was suggested to use the 'M' on a high performance, low volume version of the E12 5-series. Something similar to what Alpina was doing with the model. The M535i was born. Yes an M535i in 1979. Helped prop up sales of the Five, until the new E28 arrived. One of my colleagues had the original E12 M535i.

Using the 'M' for tuned versions of the bread and butter models therefore predated any M-car sedan.

As to current "exclusivity", "special", "dilution" or however we want to view the M-car brand, BMW is in business to sell vehicles, make a profit and take its share of the market.

I'd say the prolific use of the 'M' is more associated with the dilution of the brand, (than M brand specifically), which I know some despise that move, but it means survival of the BMW company. I'm sure we'd rather see a successful company, than a niche brand that is on the edge, or out of business.

Again, if we know a bit about the history, BMW have had financial issues through the years. Going volume with cars like the 3-series has been their best move ever, for survival and profit.

Dilution into many sub markets in the premium segment has also meant less exclusivity for M cars. The use of the M-sport and M-performance models allows them to reach a larger customer base. Good for the customer, but less exclusivity for the M-car user.

Is that a bad thing? As I see it only M-car snobs have an issue with M-cars in volume.

The other factor, there is plenty of money out there, hence volume sales of M cars. Unless BMW restrict production numbers of any given model, market forces dominate.

As to depreciation, the used market decide the values. Too many cars, and/or second users not seeing the value in the cars, sets the used car values. That is simple economics.

I come from the time when even a 5-series car was quite rare. I remember in my town, only two of us had an E12. Similar for the E28. To to see an E28 M5 was a very rare sight.

As to the cars themselves the market is different these days, even the M-car buyer wants all the creature comforts in the M-car package, it's a different world in 2019, than 1979.

Last edited by HighlandPete; 02-16-2019 at 02:50 PM..
PshhhhhMW554.00
SakhirM410783.00