01-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #1517
Soterios
BXR
Rep

Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Rant inbound:

Why is everyone on social media screaming to put a 2JZ in the car?

Stock for stock, that motor makes less power than the B58.
It's also way heavier. Iron block vs aluminum.
Wiring would be a nightmare.

So what do you gain? The privilege of spending even more money to make it have more power than the B58? Clout? Being able to sleep tight knowing your Supra has a 2JZ?
Ehhhhhhhh.... I'll bite.

The 2JZ is a stronger motor. I think it's hard to argue. It's not hard to see four digit power on a stock longblock. You can expect 400whp on stock twins, but if you're doing a swap, you're likely going single turbo anyways. It's also way more aftermarket friendly (and cheaper to modify) because it's been around a lot longer. A friend of mine that owns a performance shop has but 1jzs and 2jzs in just about everything you could imagine. (inlcuding a couple of BRZ/GT86/FRS) They're just plentiful motors and it's easy to make reliable power with them.

The B58 is nice, but it's not a JZ.

All that said, I think it's just a meme. No one besides some speed shops and some youtube channels will actually go buy a $60,000 car and immediatly throw a twenty year old motor in it for $15,000.

If America ever got a 4 cylinder option though, that was say... $10,000 less, I would expect to see a lot of those cars get 1jz/2jz swapped.