View Single Post
      01-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #1508
stormhammer
Rep

Drives: Java Green M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
I don’t have a problem with the looks or the specs. I like it. I do have a problem with the gall and sheer nerve Toyota has to call this car a Supra and not offer it in manual. Don’t care if they’re talking about possibly adding it in the future. Should NEVER have been engineered without a manual in mind from the outset. This is such an epic fail!
That's where the business side of things comes into place, be it fortunate or unfortunate.

On average, more people buy auto's than manuals ( Surprisingly, the BRZ/FRS/86 has been a 50/50 split ). Sports cars are an ever-shrinking segment. Even looking at M cars, I can find far more M3/M4's in DCT than I can in a manual, and it makes sense - not many people want to drive a manual in an hour worth of traffic, and not many people have the space or the means to own both a daily driver AND a sports car for the weekend.

Then you have the issue of, if you offer the manual in a Supra, even in the 4 cylinder, you effectively kill off the 86. Now, price/target demographic factor in and blah blah blah, but that's basically what it breaks down to. It's why for the longest time the Camaro couldn't get options that would make it be able to compete with the Corvette.

I can only imagine that Tada, the chief engineer on both the 86 and now the Supra, is torn inside about how he couldn't offer it in a manual ( although supposedly that's changing )

That being said - ZF 8spd's are an amazing automatic transmission. I can't wait to see big boost put on these, at 3392lbs, with 600whp and 600+tq, there will be a gaptism of rain and fire.