01-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #1498
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
What I dont get is if Toyota cant afford to build a proper Supra then how does everyone else do it? Isn't Toyota one of if not the biggest Auto manufacture in the world? I know GM & VW go back and fourth at #1 etc but still.. How did they afford to build the LFA? Could you imagine the much smaller Nissan outsourcing their GTR motor? They purposely designed a hand built engine for it vs just souping up the VQ that makes 350HP from 3.7 liters and revs 7500 in stock trim. They didnt want their halo car using the same or a variant of the same engine a Maxima / Pathfinder etc uses.. So Nissan didnt even take a chance with another Nissan engine let alone another brand for the whole car...
Let's be fair here, if the claim is Toyota cannot alone afford to build the Supra, then you can say the same that BMW cannot alone afford to build the Z4. It goes both ways and it looks like this joint venture was Toyota provided the investment money and BMW did the work.

I do agree though that Toyota has committed blasphemy in commissioning BMW to build a car as iconic as the Supra on their behalf. It's sacrilegious, sinful, and if I was a Toyota enthusiast and fanatic, I would be very disappointed at this BMW Supra.