03-13-2023, 06:13 PM   #886
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I’m ashamed to admit I am clueless when it comes to Italian wines especially since my last name ends in a vowel. I mostly drink CA Cabernets with a select few Merlot. I like heavy, flavorful reds. Long ago, I drank Ruffino Chianti Classico Reserva Ducale and the Gold label. Although the gold was smoother, the other had more flavor. I then discovered CA which is my go to. Wanting to broaden my horizons, I recently tried a bottle of Amarone and Brunello Di Montalcino (will update with pics tomorrow) but they didn’t do it for me. They were smooth but too light and not as flavorful.

Are there any Italian reds that are comparable to CA Cabernets? I tried the Chianti again but I’m not loving it. Too light.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit. As a reference point, my current go to is Austin Hope. My fav is Caymus with a Stags Leap Artemis here and there. The Merlot I enjoy is Emmolo.
Which Brunello did you try?

I like Brunello and Tignanello but my wife always prefers Cabernet. So I usually only drink the Italians when we are out with a group and I bring a bottle of Italian and a bottle of Cabernet.

I have some Sassicaia that I haven’t opened yet but expect it to be spectacular when it ages.