View Single Post
      05-04-2019, 01:28 AM   #86
Socal_R8
Major
Rep

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
The car is amazing... glorious... stunning. I have NO criticism of the car, for what it is. But I misjudged what I wanted from a car. Rather than wanting a serious beast of a machine, I learned that (for me) the novelty of its high performance became 'ordinary' within a few days, and then failed to entertain me. The pursuit of owning a modern Porsche was more intriguing than the reality of actually owning one. It was too serious of a car, too big (again, for me), not light and playful. It stuck out when I wanted to blend in. And yet, it does what it does to near-perfection. We just weren't a match. I bought a '19 MX-5 Miata soft top last week, and put the Porsche up for sale. We won't be reconciling. (The new Miata is just what the doctor ordered.) If I hadn't given up my M240i for the Porsche folly, I'd still be thrilled with the excellent BMW. That's why I caution the OP to think and rethink before making an irreversible decision. Sometimes it's hard to imagine the reality of a new vehicle despite a good test drive, research, etc. Cars like Porsche models are phenomenal on paper, but that's no guarantee of an enduringly satisfying 'match'. It's like the guy who bags the trophy wife and then realizes that there's a huge gap between fantasy versus the baggage of everyday reality. I laugh at myself now for thinking that a 911 T would make my Trader Joe's and Costco runs so special. The new Miata makes those same errands an absolutely silly hoot, however, for a quarter of the price of the Porsche. And miraculously, you can open the Miata hood and actually see an engine. Try that party trick on a 911!
You should have tried the 981

I think what’s so appealing to me about the Cayman is that is really is like a modern day 1991-94 NSX. Light and nimble with a naturally aspirated V6 right behind your ears.

The reviews are all 5 star and it’s got a reputation as being one of the best pure sports cars out there...the 911 has become the overweight older sister of the younger hotter Cayman with all the parts in the right place.

That being said.... I hear a lot of what you’re saying.