Thread: E36 M3 advice?
View Single Post
      11-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

E92 and E36 M3 owner here, so figured I'd chime in.
The 2 cars compliment well, and I don't agree that the US spec ones are not worth looking at. I also have a Z4M Roadster so I kind of have an idea what I'm missing out on in the Euro motor.

Since it's an old chassis, there are guys with so much knowledge on this, and there are plenty of DIY's as well. The advantage of it being a US motor is that for an M car, the maintenance is far easier/cheaper than say an E46 and E9x M3.

As other people mentioned, this car is well over 20 years, so it'll need things if it's original: Cooling system, bushings, hoses, bushings in the trans that causes the 5th gear lean, plastic parts ect ect...

My car was purchased at 112k miles, and now has 142k. Engine doesn't burn a drop of oil and repairs have been very reasonable. But just understand that it's an old car. so it'll need things.

On this specific car, it's got a really nice interior with desirable manual seats. Low mileage, but also high price, so I'd expect this thing to be pretty close to mint. I'd insist on looking under the car. Black/Black is prob not the most desirable color combo considering how many wild paint choices were available, but ones this clean prob don't come up all that often for what it's worth.

Feel free to ask any questions. For me, I never grew up wanting an E36 (E30 and E46 were more my cup of tea), but this car, even with US spec engine has so much charm.

07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT