View Single Post
      01-22-2022, 05:25 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Audi A4 Avant

In praise of Japanese design and engineering

I hardly post about cars these days, and particularly not BMWs as I don’t own one any longer and I’m unlikely to any time soon as I’m not keen on the latest designs from Munich. I’ve had my Mazda3 for seven months now and have only covered just under 4,000 miles but thought I’d share a few thoughts about this humble hatchback.

It isn’t a fast or powerful car, producing 186PS/240Nm, with a small supercharger and no turbocharger. It makes up for the lack of outright power by being engaging to drive, with a lovely, mechanical feel to it, enhanced by the nicest manual box I’ve used. The engine technology in this e-Skyactiv X version uses “Spark Controlled Compression Ignition”, which was invented by Mazda, and it squeezes every last drop of petrol out of the system - to date, I’m averaging 49mpg (UK gals) on a pretty representative combined cycle, which is impressive for a 2L 4cyl petrol engine, given that I like to push the revs.

The cabin is a nice place to be, and the ergonomics are spot on. No distracting touch, a good old-fashioned analogue dash and nicely weighted controls. NVH is very good for a car in this price segment, and the ride and handling are excellent, helped by the fact that they didn’t ruin the setup on this GT Sport model by throwing on shorter springs and wider tyres, which other manufacturers tend to do.

So, yes, I’m pleased with it, and next time I’m in the market, I’ll start by looking at the Japanese car makers – which will be a first for me.
Attached Images