07-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #156
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
3 years ago, I had this 1981 Motobecane, passed down to me from my dad. It was in poor shape and I invested almost nothing in keeping it in working condition. Don't get me wrong, I didn't abuse it, but I didn't upgrade the wheels or brakes or gearing, and everything was original, or aftermarket replacement parts from at least 1995. It was primarily used for commuting and I didn't want a bike that I would constantly sweat over it being stolen and I had to store it outside under a tarp.

When I finally needed brake service on the bike, I took it to my local shop and the arrogance they expressed to me was unbelievable. Almost as if "how dare you bring this POS into my shop" kind of treatment. I mean, biking is not my thing, it's a means to get from point A to point B. I don't need to show up at a shop with a $8k bike.

Question: Are all hardcore cyclists arrogant POS? Or it's just a bike shop thing?

But I guess I got him back when I passed the bus he was riding on in my M3...
Some of them are pretty wired. I think riding in groups tends to elevate the asshole in most cyclist. lol

But no, not all of them are. Probably goes with age a bit too. Young, strong, fast, bike shop employee, arrogant. Older, slower, accomplished, friendlier. haha

But seriously though, it's sometimes like gang mentality. Get them in a group and it's lord of the flies. Get one on one and most everyone is pretty cool.

Maybe luck of the draw or part of town your'e in. It's kind of weird though, because these days parts and bikes are cheaper on the web and bike maintenance and mechanic hours should becoming more of the LBS's income due to the wide, competitive availably of products.

Try another one next time.