View Single Post
      01-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #38
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
We should get official details next week when it's formally unveiled. I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure, though I hope carbon ceramics aren't standard since I much prefer conventional. But the Corvette is the only car at the moment that might tempt me to give up my M3, which I'd most likely otherwise keep for many years to come; I'm not tempted at all by the new M3/4, and the only other car I might rather have would be the 991 GT3, but I'm in no danger of being able to afford that any time soon.

I think I'd definitely wait a few years after release before buying even if I were going to, though. I'm a bit of a gadget nut, so I'd want to buy at a time when it's unlikely some cool feature would be added later (like this one), even if that means I'd be buying shortly before the next generation came out. I'll also want to wait and see how a forced induction Z06 stands up to track weekends in Texas heat. There aren't many ZR1s at track days to serve as a good baseline. There's also the general reliability concern; the LS7 in the current Z06 has a known engine defect that can cause hugely expensive repairs, and since it didn't become widely known until toward the end of production, GM decided not to perform a recall or implement a production change and instead cross their fingers, pay for the warranty claims that arose, and occasionally agree to goodwill partial reimbursement for engines that failed slightly after the warranty period.

But wow, this really makes me wonder what the ZR1 specs are going to look like....
I read (believe C&D site) GM has no plans for ZR1 at this time as it did not sell well and will closely monitor Z06 numbers