View Single Post
      11-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #77
Artemis
Rep

Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
In my particular post that you're quoting, I'm not saying it's Rao that leaked. I suspect it is her, but I think only Toto knows who it really is.
But one thing is sure: someone leaked. And that is my point.
Ben Sulayem has done good things, but him saying it's normal that information gets leaked, and thus accepting it (I don't know how else to interpret his words) is not a statement that should be made by the head of a large organisation. The leaking of confidential information is a breach in trust and arguably a crime. And as long as the source isn't discovered, there's no guarantee that it won't happen again, and again, and again etc etc.
His reaction to me says that he's not going to do a whole lot about it to prevent it in future times, and that does eat away at his integrity imho. That reaction just doesn't say to me that it's on his priority list.
And because Ben Sulayem's reaction about leaking information is so blasé in my view, it automatically creates conformation bias. I mean if the autority about this subject isn't going to judge it, everyone else is free to imho. That is what happens if things don't get dealt with.
You assume that no investigation has taken place. But that may be inaccurate. None of us knows what actions Ben Sulayem has ordered internally. IMHO it is very likely that he ordered to track down the leak and that subsequently measures were taken against the person (either part of FIA or part of a service provider of FIA). We do not know the identity. And it's speculation or innuendo to claim that it's Rao: no proof.

Very likely, more people than we may think have access to internal info. Let's not forget that, due to the intricate complexity of the cost cap analysis, FIA also relied on external advisors. Ben Sulayem is not supposed to tell the press: "OK, we found the leak: it was Johnny/Jenny working at [organization name]. The situation has been taken care of internally regarding that person".

Compare with pictures of a new BMW model leaked on social media (a new car sitting on a cargo at an airfield, a new car inside an elevator, a new car in a studio, etc.). And I mean 'genuine' leaks, not those so-called leaks. You can bet that BMW usually tries to identify where pictures of genuine leaks were taken and that it tries to track down who was involved. If you notice leak pictures getting deleted from a thread after going viral: yup, that was very likely a genuine leak and the photographer or his employer got into hot water. But don't expect BMW to make statements about it.

Already a couple of incidents have been reported over here:
  • pre-production G11 730d pictures leaked in December 2014; the car was in transit and an employee of the cargo company shot some rather unflattering pictures, which ended up on the interwebs. Scott26 commented: "So we had a brief meeting this morning which include said representatives from the cargo company involved. Let's just say that the ones that took the pictures, their reflections are visible on the car itself." (see here);
  • E63/E64 6er pictures: Scott26 commented: "Cameras are not allowed and that also goes for phones. The last high profile leak was at an early presentation for the E63 and E64 6er. A US dealer photographed the two and put them on line or sent them to a magazine. Management at that time went ballistic. Completely Bat-shit crazy and they lost their franchise. I think they now sell Korean. Hyundai or Kia." (see here);
  • removed M2 shipping pictures (weight figures discussion) (see here);
  • removed M2 dealership pictures (on display before launch date) (see here);
  • someone shot a picture inside a 'discovery room' in Belgium of a pre-production F90 and posted it on Instagram (phones and cameras had to be handed over to security staff before entering the 'discovery room'); it wasn't me (I would never do that); the next day I was asked if I knew who that person was, because BMW was trying to track down the photographer (see here);
  • removed G87 M2 pictures (see here);
  • etc.