View Single Post
      11-01-2022, 01:19 PM   #304
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X3

I forgot all about this, I was away last week relaxing as all of this unfolded.

So it confirms that of the teams Red Bull got it all very wrong in multiple areas and other than Aston nobody else did. The ABA was their best option to 'take it on the chin' and they accepted a fine the is meaningless and reduce aero and CFD time that makes very little difference in reality. Some are actually saying that due to some of the costs of running the aero they won't use the full allocation anyway apparently.

Anyone that defends this as whatever is missing the point massively. This might not hurt Red Bull a huge amount now, but the next time they are sitting round the table trying to force the hand of the other teams, forget it they have them by the balls. The sponsors aren't going to like it either, yes they are winning but that doesn't matted to them, reputational damage and the association to it very much does. If they are so much as a penny over next time they are going to be in serious trouble.

But for me regardless of what they did is the cost cap working for the sport, I don't think so it needs changes. Ability for lower teams to maybe spend more not just have more development time and when something like this happens again then they need to reduce the spending of the guilty team. They top teams have more than enough money, they will spend another $100m on other costs outside of the CAP easily but reduce what they can spend on items within it, that would hurt far far more.

As for all of the fallout and frankly vacuous pantomime comments about we didn't do anything, we were under, it wasn't us stuff its embarrassing to the team and has reduced their credibility massively that us as outsiders won't grasp yet.