Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Can you link me. I did the reset and the downshift is noticeably smoother
There are two resets available to us. One debatable, one actual:

"Pedal reset". This is the pedal one. People debate whether it's real. My car is on the 5th floor of a large garage, with a steady downhill run to the entrance gate. Over time, I can feel the engine braking increasingly engaging (as if I'm in a low manual mode) on this downhill run -- a sign that the ZF is learning driving characteristics, as it should.

When I do the pedal reset, the engine braking becomes far less noticeable for awhile, but slowly increases over time. To me, this means the pedal reset does something, however minor, to reset some of the ZF's learned programing, and the ZF relearns the engine braking it assumes is needed on a long downhill run.

"Adaptation reset": This is a reset done (rarely) via INPA or ISTA. I use ISTA. It's supposed to be done after mechanical work or parts replacement is done on the transmission, and resets to factory programming. However, it's debatable if this includes the simple 6 liter fluid refresh -- ZF doesn't seem to require it.

Over the years, I've done ISTA adaptation resets on both my ZF transmissions. They do require a specific relearning procedure (attached), which is complex if carried out to the letter. I prefer to simply follow the intent of the procedure, and the ZF relearns just fine over a few days. Because this procedure is complex, this adaptation reset should be done only occasionally -- if repairing or refitting parts on the mechatronics (valve body) for example, such as solenoids, interface gaskets or a mecha rebuild. Resetting the ZF and then it driving like you stole it is a bad idea.

Those are the two. Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZF_Adaptation procedure.pdf (176.8 KB, 183 views)

BMW CCA Member 15+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 12-19-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
Pladi719.00