View Single Post
      03-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
I won't say never... but for right now nearly all auto makers are not make sports cars with diesels... No doubt time can change every thing, I hope they can make a high revving diesel with gobs of HP and not just tq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
I'm sure in time the can/will make a sporty diesel for a production car but until they do I will stick with petrol for my sports cars.
I think that is a fair enough assessment. Getting diesels to rev higher is a tough challenge, and is directly linked to the peak horsepower. If the 135i reached it's peak horsepower at 4400 rpm like the 123d, it would only be rated as about a 240 hp engine. The 5500 rpm redline of the 123d is a big hit compared to the 7000 rpm redline on the 135i, or the 6500 redline on the 128i.

That is one of the reasons why I think the 123d competes more against the 128i then the 135i. The 123d is a good solid car, but the 135i is still the top performer of the group.

Until BMW puts out a higher reving aluminum block version of their current 3.0 liter 6 cyl sequential turbo diesel engine, the 135i is going to continue to be the top of the 1-er lineup. They need to update their 6 cyl diesel the same way they just got done updating their 4 cyl.

With all that said about the 135i being the top performer, I would still rather have the 123d. :biggrin:

It's sort of like the same reason I own a Suzuki SV650 instead of a GSXR 750 or a 'busa. I know their are better performers out there, but having a very good performer is still a whole heck of a lot of fun!
Appreciate 0