Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I have some more interesting landscapes from Germany and Austria, but from a technical standpoint they have issues. Lots of haze and so on.

Thanks, Dave. It's the cloud that made me stop and shoot that image. It was a receding thunderstorm, the passing of which left the air very clear. The setting sun added some great colors to it as well.
The air quality and interesting sky are huge elements in landscape/scenic photography. My entry earlier in this thread is the Grand Canyon, after snow, with some great sun behind me and all kinds of clouds. When I look at my shots from the day before, with a clear sky, but haze in the canyon and flatter light, I just go "ugh". Despite the incredible canyon, there's just not much I can do spice those images up.

I put together a Set of my favorite landscape/scenics on Flickr. As I was putting it together, the common element in almost every one is the sky or light doing something special. I'll go on a 5-day cruise and maybe get one or two shots where everything comes together. Trying to make a great scenic, even with a powerful subject, is hard when the sky is ordinary. First you've got to be there at the right place and right time (early or late) and then be lucky. Persistance helps generate some of the luck.

Here's my Flickr Landscape/Scenic Set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstep/...7629833477701/

Watch it in the slideshow mode, full-screen, if you've got the connection speed and interest.

Dave