View Single Post
      07-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #31
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Agree with the below. In no way has BMW missed the boat. Majority of consumers still drive gas cars and will continue too, since gas is so cheap. Gas cars are much cheaper than EV, EV takes a long time to charge on a road trip (at least I think it does) and range anxiety. Also need a much more comprehensive network of EV charging stations, like gas stations for it to be wide spread acceptance. We have a ways to go, but it seems to be changing rapidly.

EV has to get to the point of more range and less loss with air conditioner, heater, etc on for people that drive a lot too.

I am an EV proponent and was close to buying a Tesla, but will wait it out another 3 years and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
You can't be serious? EV's accounted for 2.6% of global sales in 2019. If BMW converted their entire lineup to EV today I certainly agree their status as independent manufacturer would be in danger as they would be catering to an extremely small minority of buyers. It's not a race to totally convert to EV as automakers are going to have to straddle the line between being able to sell cars today as well as tomorrow. Forums are full of emotional posters which is why we see a lot of posts like above but we are the minority as the masses who look at automobiles strictly as transportation don't really care either way what they drive and will simply purchase the cheapest vehicle that fills their needs. If I was a betting man BMW will probably be one of the last manufacturers standing as there are many manufacturers in much more precarious situations such as Chrysler, GM, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, any British automaker, etc. I would expect some of them will not be around next decade but I wouldn't worry too much about BMW as they will be fine. The fact that BMW missed the boat for you means absolutely nothing in the big picture.
///M TOWN16539.00
530iDriver1707.50
hans007604.50