View Single Post
      12-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
Perusal
Rep
Drives: 318d Sport GT

The service indicator can pretty much be set at any interval the dealer determines.

Over here in Europe we don't even have businesses such as Kwik Lube or Jiffy Lube....there's just no call for them. The absolute MINIMUM interval anybody mandates over here is 10,000 miles or one year. The vast majority of OEMs mandate variable intervals which often stretch to 2 years. My wife's Hyundai I30 (Elantra) diesel had its first dealer recommended oil change last week at 2 years.......(and diesel creates far more insoluble matter than gasoline).

As I said, the N American system is brainwashed into going for much more frequent intervals.

My son lives in Canada, drives a 2013 Mustang 5.0GT which the dealer suggested needed oil changes at 5000 miles. When my son challenged him with data I provided the dealer backed right off and has agreed to 10000 miles changes without any threat to the warranty.....

.....-and remember, in climates such as Finland we have cold temperatures to match anything in N America, driving speeds are faster, there is more acceleration/deceleration owing to the type of roads we have so the oil environment is much harsher.

I'm not surprised anybody would recoil at the thought of 2 year intervals in N America, it's completely opposite to everything you have been told.....but that doesn't mean it's true ;-).

My 3 GT DIESEL has 14,000 miles on the clock, is 19 months old and my oil indicator is suggesting no need for a change until next Spring......
Appreciate 0