09-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Though he was a Mercedes tech and has a lift.
Exactly. It's a German car. What people should to realize is the German car industry is pretty small, with few manufacturers and a close-nit supply chain base, so there is a lot of common design elements between BMW and Mercedes (I can't speak to VW, but I assume it the same). My brother has a Chrysler Crossfire, which is a Mercedes SLK underneath. I work on it from time to time. Without any real experience with Mercedes, but 30+ years with BMWs as a well-resourced DIY'er, I've not had any problems working on the Crossfire, from oil changes to brakes, to belts, etc.

The lift helps too (personal experience). His tool set is a bit beyond a normal DIY'er "with no experience". Not to mention the incredible technical support BMW has on the internet. The entire BMW TIS is available on line.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-08-2019 at 09:19 AM..
clee1982797.50