CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Pull test could be subjective. If it's not brown but green and some of it pulls up it could just be shallow roots or you're the Incredible Hulk lol! I would aerate just to let your lawn breathe. Dethatch would help too in case you've never done it for five years. Do the tuna can method for the sprinkler test. Remember 1" of water per week. I usually keep an eye on the weather to determine if I need to run my sprinklers. Usually 3 days apart or four. Like I said earlier I would look into soil amendments as next years project.

Usually with overseeding people will do that just to get the lawn to thicken up for next year before the lawn goes into winter dormancy. If your lawn is thin now I highly recommend doing it at the beginning of September. You need almost 45 days for the lawn to establish itself after germination is complete. Plus I saw that you can't really mow for about a month after seeding. So a complete dethatch, than aerate, than overseed and starter fertilizer. You have Bermuda so I believe that type of grass spreads so you might be good not to overseed. It's your call. My lawn is thick and thin so I haven't overseed for 3 years. This year I will overseed because I have Turf Type Tall Fescue so the variety I have doesn't spread as much
So much good info. Thank you!

I'm going to do the tuna can test this weekend because I think my watering could need some tweaking. Thinking shallow-ish root system. Also going to send in a soil sample to Oklahoma State University (apparently you can send them soil samples and then in 2-3 weeks they'll return hand written recommendations to improve the soil).

Here in Oklahoma, we have A LOT of clay (part of the reason why we don't have basements here) which will contribute (good and bad) to soil conditions, watering amount, etc. so soil test will be cool to see and beneficial. Want to also aerate and dethatch as well. So much to do!

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay