11-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #5141
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidkaos View Post
I looked into a DSLR dive case, and they are super expensive ($1,000+). And then you start adding on lights and becomes a very expensive cumbersome rig to move through the water. I'd only suggest a DSLR dive case if you are a very avid diver, and shoot underwater a lot. The S95 case (as with most Canon dive cases) is only $150.

As for the auto focus, it's not a matter of being underwater, it was the poor visibility that limited its ability to work. In clearish water, auto-focus works great, but where I was in Mozambique had just had a storm the day before, and that churned up the water a lot. With all the silt and muck in the water I couldn't see one end of this shark from the other. Attached is the orig .jpg straight from the camera for comparison. I was at most 10 feet away from this guy.

@DC. Damn. That's a good shot. I don't disagree, that iPhone has a good camera on it. I just prefer the versatility and dynamic range of raw shooting. I do, quite literally, take my S95 where ever I go. That may be in most part due to the fact that I still have a Razor as my phone, and it's barely fit to take a picture of anything at all, let alone a picture of any quality.
yeah, i'd consider the dive case for the DSLR and use my 5DII in it as i can crank the ISO up so a flash isn't as necessary, but i know what you mean, they are a small mountain of cash to obtain.

the picture you took in the original form definitely looks to be about as well as i could see in the water in Barbados so, not surprised the AF had trouble. I didn't have my waterproof camera at that point so i never had a chance to test it in that stuff.

Definitely something i'll have to research some more in the future, but like you say, the S95 *or 100 now* and a dive case would be an interesting alternative.

What it will really come down to for me in the end, is where my photography takes me. If I end up doing an adventure type of photography, the DSLR case would be the best option, but if I never get into that, it's an expense that will never pay for itself.