01-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #116
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I am liking this new engine

More power & torque with a smaller, less heavier engine and a lot better fuel economy. It is a win-win situation in todays demanding NA. market that is power hungry yet want fuel efficiency to be high. So now they got it. Eat your cake and have it too.

Only down side is that the engine is not a high rever other then that it looks great on all fronts. I think overall this will allow a car with overall superior driving dynamics compared to an equal model equipped with N52 NA. engine. The less mass in engine bay and over the front wheels is always a plus. Also, any one that has driven the N54 engine knows its not a high rever but its still hell of fun engine in my book.
Not sure if its really going to be that much less mass in the engine compartment. The N52 is one of the lightest production engines of it's size due to the magnesium block and aluminum sleeves. For comparison the modern VW 2.0T FSI weighs 337lbs dry and the N52 weighs 354lbs dry. The N52 is not even 20lbs more than the 2.0t. That's not even counting the weight of the intercooler, supports for the intercooler, hoses, etc.