ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
How is that a fair comparison? The Porsche Turbo car with equivalent accoutrements costs $200,000 compared to the $110,000 of the M5. The 911 S will still cost more than the M5 similarly equipped. When buying a Porsche, you pay a lot to go fast around corners for a car that isn't going to be doing much high speed cornering.

The thing about the M5 that makes it so much more valuable to me is that I have a lot more use for it's acceleration than I lose in it's lack of cornering speed. The insane acceleration allows me to dominate the highway and that is something a nice road car should have. In the Porsche, it comes with a very high price.
Are we comparing cars or prices? Fair comparison is Turbo car vs Turbo car.

There is no reason to argue with you since you can not even compare apples to apples. I will say this though, there is more to car than acceleration, and that is why the M5 costs 110,000 vs a 911, which costs more, because it offers so much more.

Don't forget the M5 is just a tricked out 5 series with lots of surgery, sure it is fast and all, but at heart it is still a huge heavy boat. The 911 at heart is and always has been a sports car, engineered from the start as a sports car. From the C2 to the Turbo and GT3, auto sports is what they were born to do.
You know, especially for your age, you really write some very factually good and very emotionally rational posts. Quite impressive how you understand the dynamics of many cars and how you evaluate and present your actual real world experiences. So many are "magazine" critics and this will never truly "get it".

Spot on again with these two cars. The C2S in not the M5 comparison car, the Turbo is. However, it is amazing that many, including me, eventually chose and will choose to make the switch to the C2S or C4S from the M5. The overall "driving" experience far exceeds that of the M5. A few test drives simply won't reveal that. Real seat time surely will. I am a perfect example in that it took two full months for me to finally fall for the car after leaving the Porsche dealer on several occasions with a underwhelmed feeling. Hey, even today,having my TTS cab,there are still moments where I miss the involvement of my C2S. However, I am apparently a speed whore so I can't go back. :-) Yes, you pay more for the comparable model when comparing the Porsche vs. a BMW just the same as you do Mercedes to Hyundai. You are paying for more than speed. Price as a basis for considering cars "comparable" is not a true qualifier unless you are weighing interests of affordability when making a purchase.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0