View Single Post
      09-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
SineQuaNon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i - Red - ZSP - Procede

Procede + 335 = Porsche Hunter (?)

I'll probably get flamed for this since it's my first post, but I'm going to post it anyway. I will also add the caveat that I am a certified Porschefile. My previous ride was a Boxster S, but I bought the 335 when family needs made it necessary for a more practical car. I never even considered a BMW until I read about the 335. I had always liked the M3, but for the price I always thought the Boxster S was a more fun car (I'll probably get flamed for that too!).

Anyway, I took my Crimson Red MT e90 335 to Putnam Park in Indiana a couple of weeks ago to run with the Central Indiana PCA (buddy of mine has a 996 Targa). I was expecting to run toward the back of the pack due to the soft suspension of the 335, my RFTs and the fact that 911s are no slouch in the power department. To my amazement I was able to easily run down all of the Porsches (no Turbos in my group) on the straights and hang close enough through the corners so that I was running faster lap times than them. There was also an e39 M5 out there, but he really didn't have a chance - 335 was considerably faster on the straights and through the corners. I was pleasantly surprised that my Baby Bimmer did so well.

This has gotten me to thinking that with a bit of suspension work (PSS9 & H&R rear sway), together w/ a non-staggered setup of 255/35/18s on lightweight 8.5" rims all around, I should be considerably faster than all but the fastest 911s. Maybe a brake upgrade later on, but I didn't really have any trouble w/ fade; although, the temperature was in the 60s, so that probably had something to do w/ it. I wouldn't have believed it until I experienced it, but the 335 can make a very good track car.

With a few more upgrades I hope to change my thread title from "Porsche Hunter (?)" to "Porsche Killer!". Now that would be fun! The 335 really is a stealth beast!
Appreciate 0