View Single Post
      12-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #35
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
For us, it's a combination. CalPers Pension; IRA (mine); IRA (hers); SS (mine); SS (hers); plus small VA benefit. My IRA was rolled over from my TSA that I contributed to at max rate for 20 years. Her IRA was rolled over from 20 years of profit-sharing at her last job. And despite our draws on our IRA's, our portfolio is still growing. In other words, this is sustainable even if we live to be 100 years old.

And of course what I didn't previously mention, the debt factor. We're debt free, so our net income doesn't have to be in the stratosphere.
OK, I got it. You're classifying investments dividends, SS, and such as sources of income. And like you've alluded to, play your cards right and continue to live within your means and your portfolio will continue to grow even while you're pulling from it in retirement. My 76 y/o mother has been living off my deceased father's pension (reduced a bit upon his death) and SS for 10 years now. Those two sources basically pay for most monthly expenses thus she's having to take out money from her IRAs and push it to a brokerage investment accounts. It's a good problem to have. Funny thing is though she constantly worries about not having enough money.

And I totally agree, a debt free life is liberating.