vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I have a hard believing the McD's is going to be staffed with robotics repair and troubleshooting staff. There may be some automated assistance, but it will still largely be a human work force.
I take it that you haven't looked at machine shops in the 21st century? They have one minimally-skilled CNC operator supervising 4-6 machines simultaneously as they run the various machining jobs. The operator is there to put new blank billets on the bed, select the job number, and press start. If one machine breaks, there's still 5 more punching the parts out until it can be diagnosed/repaired. Someone at a CAD screen in an office (anywhere in the world) is drawing the parts and sending the job programs out to the machines, and that's the only skilled person in the entire process.

Some people will point at McFlurry machines always being broken as an example of why automation will McFail in fast food. That is actually a corporate learning lesson, because Micky D's contracted for all of those machines without the right to have third-party vendors repair them. Plus, they apparently only have one per restaurant.....