Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Sound. V8 over a turbo 6 any day
Usability of power
Simple. Not overly packed with tech
Less refined. 911 went heavy on luxury for this gen.

Don't get me wrong I like both of my cars. But the 992 isn't scratching the itch like I thought it would.

Maybe if I put the car on track it would change my mind but it's unlikely I ever will. Street car days on track are behind me.
Hmm, as a V8 owner, my experience is:

1 It depends on the exhaust. Pretty much anything can sound like anything, it's not really dependent on the engine. Now, if you just want the loudest engine, you can have that with straight pipes, like so many douche-trucks that are loud all the time trying to sound "fast". The "best sounding cars" at the races I compete in are not dependent on the number of cylinders, in other words no correlation. The flat out loudest usually correlate to the length and how "open" they are, such as straight pipes no cats, short pipes, etc.

2 Full torque that starts around 1200-1700 is more usable than small displacement OHV V8 torque that has to spin up to stratospheric RPMs to generate some torque and even then it's not much. For day to day driving and usability of power, modern turbo setups will win every time. Hitting the gas at 1500rpm in those small displacement V8s is worse than any modern turbo lag. You won't go anywhere. Despite shifting being fun when necessary to wring the max performance out of the car, it's a chore at other times and that's where having the torque on hand makes the car much more usable/livable.

3 High strung V8 engines may not be all full of tech, but high strung is still high strung. Revving to 8000+rpm puts a lot of stress on components and there are several issues with these engines. Same can be said for just about any engine. It's really more about how modern electronic-driven cars, sales and the fast pace of "development" pretty much guarantee that newer cars today won't be running 100% functionally in 20 years. As cars have gotten more complex and higher performance, this has kind of gone out the window compared to some old 350 chevy engine in a truck/car. IMO, we passed this "line" many years ago, definitely before the E92.

Last edited by RM7; 06-07-2021 at 02:10 PM..
Vivek.1367.50