View Single Post
      08-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #15
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

So, from someone who represents management at the bargaining table (two deals down this year, two to go) as a chief spokesperson.

Some things to consider. There is a difference between working to rule and a slowdown. Working to rule is a completely legitimate tactic (in or out of bargaining) for a union to bring pressure on an employer. It is exactly what it sounds like (my lunch starts at 11:30, I put my tools down at 11:30, don't even bother to finish to tighten the bolt I'm working on). A slowdown occurs when you deliberately perform your work inefficiently so that it takes longer. Surprised the unions would bother with a slowdown when work to rule is usually really effective (contrary to popular belief, most employees ... non-union or not ...care about their work and do more than the bare minimum of their workplace and work rules).

Second, four years without a deal means that one side is patently uninterested in getting bargaining done. I've been involved in two rounds that were close to two years (one was my first at the table and I was second chair and the second I was lead negotiator). Both of those had proper strike votes and job action and were not caused by either side not wanting to negotiate but by legitimate differences at the bargaining table (including a concessionary agenda on our part at one point). If American has been deliberately not wanting to negotiate, I think that's a shitty thing to do to your employees. If you need concessions, negotiate them or have the brass to lock them out to get what you need. If it's the company but it's not concessionary, the Union should get a strike mandate from their members. If they can't get a strong enough one, then they need to go back to the table and get what they can. If it's the Union, then the company should use the tools it has to force them back to the table (another use for lockout).

However, in answer to your question up top (and there may be some quirks to Texas law that may apply) my gut tells me you have no cause of action against the union. The company sold your Dad the ticket, it's the company's problem to fix. If they want to try and go after the union for damages in some fashion, that's between them and the union.