skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
skinrock's guitar image, which is awesome, btw, would be a huge point of argument on many "bokeh" forums. Some would claim it has great bokeh, while others would say it has bad bokeh. Depends on what your personal definition is.
Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
That's a very interesting example. I'd vote for calling that bokeh because the tuners and peghead are so obscured that, without the context of the guitar itself, you might not be able to identify what they are. The subject is part of the bokeh in this instance, causing confusion.

However, I agree that it's on the cusp of not being bokeh. The demarcation point between OOF and bokeh is hard to define.

Dave
I don't agree that you can separate them, though. Bokeh just describes how the out of focus areas are rendered. In my opinion, pleasing bokeh should act as a backdrop for your subject. When the subject is on a flat plane, like most of the bird shots, the background should have minimal details and draw your attention to the subject. It should almost stick out from the background. When you have bad bokeh, you have a lot of distracting, hard edges, and you begin to focus on all the rough out of focus areas instead of your subject. Just a quick example, I took this shot with my Nikon 105mm macro: http://www.rlsmithphotography.com/An...2_rPTbp-XL.jpg (same as my guitar submission). The green looks solid, but those were actually leaves from a tree in the background. And it wasn't a particularly lush tree either, I mean you could see through it. Also, it was about 7 feet away from the grasshopper, so it's not like it was just a single leaf blurring out the background.

Mine was a risky shot because, as mentioned, the subject as a whole trails off into the distance. That was my goal though. The actual subject is the bridge, which is in focus. The neck becomes very blurry and loses detail, but maintains it's shape which allows the mind to easily process this as a guitar, but directs your attention to the bridge. That's the idea, anyways.