05-04-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincob View Post
I’m looking to get into a lower cost (sub $20K USD) used small sports coupe to use as a daily driver. Something that I don’t have to baby or worry about leaving in a long term parking lot. I value the driving feel over straight line speed. No driving event use planned.

I will only commute 2-3 times a week to work. I also have a back up car, if needed. More modern BMW’s don’t interest me with all the electronics and unnecessary amenities that can go wrong. I intend to do my own wrenching on simple diy tasks.

I’ve narrowed it down to the e46 330ci and the e82 128i with the naturally aspirated I6 and MT. There are not many with manuals but there are some and I would wait until the right one comes along. Most used examples will have over 100K miles although there are more 128i available under that. 128i m-Sport would be the dream combo.

330ci pro/con
Better driving feel - no direct experience but it seems to be the consensus
Better looks, especially the pre facelift (subjective)
Rear subframe cracking, vanos, don’t think main bearings are an issue
Older than 128i so probably needs more refreshing

128i pro/con
Newer, lower mileage examples
Better interior, quieter
More understeer, body roll - suspension bushing, control arm updates needed
Gaskets leaking - valve cover, oil pan, Mickey Mouse seal are known issues

What are your opinions on one versus the other?
Any other contenders worth considering that meet my requirements
E82. Just a short chassis E90. Better car than E46. I've had both at the same time E46 and E90. E90 suspension design is far better than the E46. N52 is the better motor. I have an E46-based Z4 (different animal than the E46 though).