vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
...is having an upside down plate enough reason to pull someone over? Asking for a potential friend.
I was just going to make a post asking why, but I realized the privacy benefit that might result with a certain piece of invasive tracking technology that is assaulting our personal liberties.

NY State V&T Law Section 402 makes no mention of mounting orientation, but does specify "conspicuously displayed" in text. Further sections go on to prohibit artificial obstructions such as clear covers, specify the minimum/maximum heights (used against lifted 4x4 pickups here), etc.

The online published legal opinions hint that the freedom of speech argument (flying flag upside-down in protest) do not apply to license plates.

My favorite rule in this vein is from the Formula SAE rulebook back in the day, where they had to spell out that all race car numbers had to be non-zero positive integers. I can only imagine working timing/scoring and having to enter Pi as a car number. Who would have thought that engineers would be so creative?

I've seen some cars from the Asian car show scene with diagonal license plates on the rear, with lots of body work to make it look factory. I wonder if there is a diagonal angle that would work enough to confuse the tracking technology without becoming probable cause?

With toll-by-mail being implemented all over the northeast, I suspect that one probably could not get away with upside-down plates for long anyway.....