Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep

Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I had both eyes done last year. I have mixed feelings on the results. I too was blinded by the light. Headlight glare was a big issue. I also had issues during the day with bright lights. Another issue was the fog during the day. I felt like everything was a grey cloud. The edges of things were no longer clear.

I have worn contact lenses for 30+ years for distance. As I got older, my close up vision started to go so my prescription got complicated. As they adjusted the close up vision, the distance suffered. I could have opted for glasses instead of lenses but the shallow bitch in me preferred contacts. Eventually I also needed readers.

Anyway, I chose the surgery with the multifocal lens replacement. It cost me about $8K total for both eyes. Insurance only covered the surgery and the anesthesia. They did not cover the lenses. I can't find the breakout of what they actually paid. It must be home and not in my file here at work where it belongs.

Results -
The good - I no longer feel like I'm living in a grey world. There is more light getting into my eyes. The vision correction worked well. No more contacts and I only need readers if I'm reading something ridiculously small.

The bad - Although the glare has reduced, I now see halos around lights at night. If I am approaching a traffic light, I see the green but it now has a green circle around the light. Same thing with headlights. The doctor said it would wear off after my brain adjusted to the change when I went for my first follow up visit. It has not. I just had a visit last week. [...]
Thanks for the responses, I get what you're saying about the grey world. Have really noticed that as of late. I am planning on having both eyes done. Just a bit nervous about the whole surgery thing, not so sure about the whole "your basically awake during the procedure". Been through other surgeries/procedures, but this one will have me weirded out.

Not sure about the multifocal lenses though. I haven't done much research or heard much in regards to that particular procedure. I do understand that the lenses are expensive and may not be covered by the insurance or in my case Medicare.

Not to concerned about continuing to wear glasses, pretty comfortable with them. Actually just got a new pair of John Lennon frames that I really like and still have a previous pair of JL frames that I do want to get transition lenses in both pairs.

Thanks again
cmyx6go15696.50
Esteban43574.00