View Single Post
      04-05-2023, 10:18 PM   #45
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

I'm a sucker for the prefacelift E46 sedan on 44s, because that's what my first BMW was (I did like it even though it had issues...see below). But I like the 68s too. I like literally all of the E46s...even the cabrios, which I normally dislike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_ZMT View Post
Sucks, should have sold it sooner if it made you that unhappy. Brake replacement isn't abnormal. Cooling system issues are common and WELL documented. Oil leaks? It will need oil filter housing, oil pan, valve cover, PCV for sure, is what it is. BMW's need a certain type of battery and it has to be registered, yes even on this car. It's a German car from the early 2000's. Take care of it and it takes care of you. Preventative maintenance is key.

I don't think many people AT ALL would say the E46 was the worst car they have ever owned LOL. I regularly see M54 motors with over 300k on them and still on the road.

I can confidently say I would get it in it right now and drive across country if I had to and I would have no question if it could do it or not. But hey, that is how I keep my vehicles.
I've had three E46s.

The first one ('00 323i), which I bought slightly used and had for six years, was pretty honestly a pile of shit and (also being my first BMW) nearly destroyed any desire I had to own another car from the brand (especially after my parents warned me off buying it in the first place). Off the top of my head: clutch failed at 29k (disc was fine; the self-adjusting mechanism failed), wheel bearing completely failed shortly thereafter, power steering leak, coolant leak, O2 sensor failure, front ball joints, VANOS problems, numerous coil pack failures, ate window regulators like candy (I think I replaced 6 or 7). All of this before the car hit 8 years old and 80k miles.

The second ('02 M3) was OK but I only owned it for a year. There were signs of trouble brewing, though.

The third ('05 330i ZHP) has been fantastic and I've owned it for 14 years now. Other than routine maintenance/wear items (like belts/pulleys and control arm bushings), I've replaced one coil pack (easy/cheap), front end links, the valve cover gasket, and two window regulators. Also did the entire cooling system a couple years ago but that was a preventative measure; nothing there had actually failed yet. It does have some minor problems right now, mostly with seepage/leaks (probably various worn/cracked seals/gaskets), but those are "monitor rather than outright fix" type issues and it's pushing 20 years old so I consider that more than acceptable.

I find that cars that start reliable tend to stay reliable...so the first couple years will set the trend. That's definitely been true with almost all of the cars I've owned.

The E46 is an amazing car, assuming you get a good one. Great steering, engines, ergonomics, efficiency, visibility, easy to work on, and fun to drive on almost any road...and there are very few other cars out there, past or present, quite like it. Overall, the aforementioned ZHP has outlasted two M3s and three Porsches...I even chose to keep it over buying an M2 Comp as a direct replacement several years ago. They're all gone and it remains.