Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Great write-up.

I'm trying to justify the price of a lift to myself (and the wife). I have a high-lift jack that will do 24" of lift. I can drop a differential by putting the car on 12" risers or tall jack stands. I don't know if I could fully drop the transmission or not, but I think I could.

My main issue is a very narrow garage that would require me to move the posts when not in use. I'm guessing it would take nearly an hour to set it up and bolt everything down once I had it installed. I just wonder how often I'm going to want to do that. If I could leave it in place, it would be a no-brainer.
That's the easy part, just explain to her the money you'll save her fixing her car.

But seriously, I've estimated I've saved $18,000 on labor costs by DIY'ing JUST on my E90 alone. Regarding my wife's approval of a lift, I've kept her 22 year old Z3 (now approaching 190,000 miles) on the road far longer than it would be economically prudent to do so without DIY'ing it. I built an entire building to house my lift, which required leveling part of the mountain our house is situated on. Her only requirement was getting a ALI-certified American-made lift; she didn't want a car falling on me (not sure why, I have a good life insurance policy...)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-21-2019 at 09:02 AM..
tdott3930.50