View Single Post
      05-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #17
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I live in LA, didn't own a car for 4 years, commuted only on my motorcycle, although my commute is only about 5 miles.

Here are some thoughts of mine:

Since you have no experience riding, this is probably the worst city in America to learn to ride. I generally discourage people who live in LA from LEARNING to ride here, unless they are 1,000% determined. It is just SO dangerous with the amount of traffic and people being distracted on their smart phones, which were not a thing when I learned to ride in 2004.

another point - those bikes you listed such as a KTM 390, they are way too underpowered for freeway commuting. I would suggest something like a Ducati Monster 821. But a Monster 821 is also a lot of bike for a beginner.

My last point... while switching to a motorcycle will save you some time, it will add stress. You need to be hyper aware and hyper vigilant the entire time.

I basically think you shouldn't bother unless you want to turn motorcycling in to a hobby as well, and plan to do it sometimes for fun on the weekends which will increase your skills faster than if you only used it for commuting.