View Single Post
      05-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
I have no interest in going fast, racing on a track, carving canyons, any of that. Not only do I not have interest, but no matter how fun those things may be, I will never ride this bike in a sporty or fast fashion. I'll keep my track time to my car where I'm nice and safe.
You've got the dangers backwards as the gentlemen a couple posts above me noted. If you don't get too ambitious, that stuff is all a lot safer than being around other traffic. And that doesn't mean sporty riding isn't dangerous.

And what you're basically saying is you have no interest in learning to be in control of the bike. Think about that for a second.

Cars will show up where you don't expect them. People will try to turn left in front of you when it may not be safe (or even possible) to stop. Cars will pull out of places you didn't know existed. If you don't practice riding hard, a lot, you will have zero chance of swerving your bike out of the way in those scenarios. It just won't be possible for you.

Also, as a frequent lane splitter I can attest that other drivers can and will move over on you and even do stupid shit like open doors when you are totally sure they won't. Even if you are a very skilled rider and can stop or swerve very quickly, you are still gambling and can still get hit.

A dude who wants to stay alive and not maimed for the sake of his family and who doesn't intend to practice riding his bike hard so he can control it in emergency situations that arise during normal riding is REALLY gambling. It's just a bad position for you. Sure, you might ride into your 70s without a major wreck but from what I've seen so far in this thread it's far more likely you'll scare the shit out of yourself and stop riding within a few thousand miles.
XMetal1132.50
Meeni329.00
happyjack1657.00