11-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Advice needed on buying a used 40d

Hi guys, I'm just looking to get some feedback and tips on a sale that I am most likely going to go through with tomorrow. The item is a Canon 40D, I am moving up from my Rebel Xti and I have a few questions.. It seems like the seller is a FDNY or works for them. He has had the camera since December of 07 so the manufacturer warranty is still up for another 2 months.. He just recently had the camera serviced under warranty @ 9,000 clicks and had the shutter replaced with a new one and they did a full service on the camera (restoration). As of right now, the camera now has <3000 clicks on the new shutter. The body has been kept very clean and is mint, no scratches on the LCD or anything.

My question is regarding the reliability of the new shutter and the camera itself, I know that the life is anywhere between 30,000-50,000 clicks? So basically this camera can be considered new (he said he took about a thousand photos at a football game yesterday night). Will I run into any troubles in the longrun? I plan on keeping this camera for a very long time.

Since they put a new shutter (Canon USA) in the camera, do I get like a certain period to bring it back to them if something goes wrong? (assuming that it was either A.) their fault (bad installation), or B.) Just plain ol' defect.

His asking price was $680 but I was able to get it down for $600 flat. Would I be able extend the warranty through Cannon before the 1 year mark is up? If so, do you recommend it?

I am supposed to meet him tomorrow morning, we exchanged numbers and everything. Do you guys think I should go through with it?

And last but not least, I know the Xti pretty well and would be able to take a look at a used one and know the condition, but I don't have enough experience with the 40d to know exactly what I am looking at. Of course I am going to do some more research before the meet-up but do you guys have any tips on what I should look at (the key things) in the menu/ functions? What I'm asking for is basically the major common issues in the 40d.

(I know its a long and repetitive thread but I really need some feedback/ advice, thanks guys.)