View Single Post
      08-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #63
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
From the beginning I said the differentiation between competing models is becoming smaller and smaller. I didn't say the Cadillac powertrain is its only problem with them but if everyone has the exact same power train as BMW (or close enough buyers can't tell) it makes it a tougher sale to buy a BMW at the higher market price.
Right. What you didn't mention, but what I think is key fact coming out of our discussion is that that was already happening with ICE drivetrains. Another thing we've established is that there are properties of the EV drivetrain (such as efficiency - something you didn't consider particularly important) that still do have the potential to provide real differentiation, at least in the near term where establishing a position in the race is perhaps most crucial, among the electric vehicles coming to market from the various players.

I respect your opinion, and you have reasonable points. There's enough nuance and strategic positioning in this competition to hold my interest. I'm not sure I'm rooting for any specific entity (although I don't want to see BMW left behind), but I do think there are some power players establishing themselves as we speak, and I think there are plenty of surprises coming this decade (yes, I've got my eye on you, Hyundai ).
Appreciate 0