08-10-2020, 07:45 AM   #58
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Because batteries are where the raw material cost is, so you want that acceptable range with least amount of battery sitting under your feet. At any rate, drivetrain efficiency is definitely a major source of EV R&D at the moment, along with battery tech obviously.
All relevant to the manufacturer as the strive for lowering their material and overall cost. Like figuring out how to build a car with adhesives instead of welding it helps the manufacturers for various reasons, and maybe the overall product but not sure any buyer cares about the details or the manufacturer even tries to sell it to anyone but the hardcore enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sure. Meanwhile every manufacturer has a 2.0L turbocharged motor now (contrast that with just a decade ago), and most consumers won't wax on about why they think the one in their car is (or isn't) better than the one in yours. The industry has already been commoditized - its just that you are enough of an enthusiast that you can still spot the differences. Furthermore the fascination with engines, perhaps including the mythos of German Engineering and such, still gets you going. Yet, most people today are not choosing a BMW because they are on about the engineering - they are buying the brand and the brand experience.

I'm not disagreeing with your hypothesis. For car guys like us, something gets lost. I don't think it's got nearly the same impact for the average consumer. The end result is that while the game changes, the game also stays the same - the marketing song and dance to groom customers, the creation of value via new tech, the product development process all continues to be what it is. Enthusiasts might have less of real substance to argue about in forums like this one, but target customers are still going to be swayed or not swayed based on what ticks the boxes and tickles their fancy. Sure, there are objective features that you and I may care about, but it's an emotional decision at its core and it's going to continue to be. It's why some car guy might argue the superiority of BMW's B48 engine with his wife until he's blue in the face, but she's still going to pick the Lexus for her reasons (probably involving being subconsciously woo'd by some racy Facebook ad or some such).
As a Cadillac and BMW owner, drive any powertrain GM makes and compare it to the similar BMW engine and I think a lot of people notice. They may not understand why but the GM 2.0T is coarse and far less pleasant. The XT4 is a FWD platform, Lincoln's are the same, if people really don't care not sure why every luxury car builder doesn't start with a FWD chassis which is better for packaging and costs. Then either the transmission GM's uses or programs if purchased also isn't close to being equal. I bought the Cadillac because the other features, handling and price, reliability. I think the engine/transmission for the U.S. and most Japanese cars doesn't meet the Europeans but I think highly unlikely I will say the same on the electric car purchase. I am somewhat interested in the CT4V as it has good hp/torque/acceleration/handling but the reviews on the power delivery through the 2.7 4 cylinder and hunting 10 speed sounds pretty bad. I am leaning towards spending the extra for the 340 (someone must care about powertrains to buy the 340).

You are correct, many don't care about any of these things which is my point, luxury manufacturers need you get you to buy into the Sales/Marketing as the substance gets closer and closer but BMW tries to sell at a premium. Some part of the buyers leave as the substance can be differentiated.
Anyone most interested in best value or reliability likely doesn't have BMW anywhere near the top (earned or not). Anyone that does care about handling/powertrains and performance currently at least appreciates BMW and puts them on the list to consider of like priced brands.

For the true "badge buyer", they don't need to know anything about the substance as it is mostly about the Sales/Marketing and the best hope for some manufacturers is these buyers never get educated or care about what is in the car.