12-22-2015, 06:20 AM   #1
TripleD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi S4 Avant

Legal Advice - Poor service

Hi All,

As people are from different parts of the country, and may had similar experiences I'm after some advice on the Bathroom I recently had fitted.

I employed a Bathroom fitter to rip out and completely replace my bathroom (the only one in the house) as part of this the walls had to be plastered and the electrics done.
The bathroom fitter sub contracted the plastering to a Plasterer and the Electrical work to an Electrician.

Paid a £250 deposit to the fitter. He started work early December.

I purchased and supplied the bathroom elements separately.

Plasterer came in, didn't do a very good job. I complained at the weekend, plasterer visited yesterday to look, admitted it wasn't a good job and offered me a £40 refund to 'help towards straightening it out'. I accepted the £40 but more than that he admitted he f'ed it up!
I have not paid the plasterer any money to date, the fitter has paid him so far.

Electrical work, 1 issue but was resolved quickly while he was on site as I wasn't happy with the positioning of a light. No other issues, electrician gave me the invoice directly. Saw no reason not to pay so paid him yesterday.

Now for the 'fitter'.
It's a long story, but the short version is I have a bath with a shower over it, and it's been leaking from the day he fitted it. He has had 6 chances to fix the issue. Final chance was yesterday, were he did as I expected and just triggered silicone around everything.
This morning tried the shower and we have worse leaks, and even an additional leak to the extent that we can no longer use the shower.
I called him this morning to tell him the outcome, said he is not welcome back, and refused to pay any invoice from him. His response was that he was going to come round a rip out all the pipe work, then hung up.

Since then I have a text message saying that I need to pay him for the materials used.

So now for the question, how do I stand on not paying him? Given that I now have to find someone to re-do the whole job, he has a £250 deposit.
Do I have to pay his materials only? or can he just jog on?

Any advice or anyone been in a similar situation?
Appreciate 0