06-09-2020, 06:53 AM   #72
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Meh. Honda is good at fwd. BMW is good at rwd, it's not like they'd ever make a stupid fwd sedan, oh wait...
Them building it is fine with me, I won't buy it. Once I get to the price range they want for the BMW FWD I would just pay the extra and get a far better platform. I would also buy a FWD just not paying premium/luxury prices to get it. No engineer ever said they would like to start with a FWD platform to build the best sedan, they said it would be the most practical and budget friendly.

Interesting how upset people got when BMW did it but for Acura it is expected and defended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Acura likes their SH-AWD system. Even if they did build a RWD version, they'd still have to offer a SH-AWD version. When you consider that, it's easy to see the logic in keeping this car SH-AWD only.
If they built on a RWD platform, then made an AWD option, instead of sending "up to 70% to the rear wheels", they would make this the standard and send power to the fronts when needed. I am not against AWD, just making it FWD and sometimes sending power to the rear (your buying a car that is almost always a FWD) then the weight distribution issues that come with this setup.

My wife has an Acura TSX, purchased new, at the time it was a couple of thousand more than a similarly equipped Honda Accord. At this price level and what she wanted out of a car Acura had a good option. At the $40k-$50k price range there are better options.

I put Lincoln, Acura and Volvo in a similar category, you get all of the "luxury" you would ever want and it comes with a reduced price over most of the other luxury brands, with this none of them are willing to spend the money for the structure to build a great handling car and they only offer FWD with the option to sent power to the rear when needed. Good for packaging, reducing cost, mpg, not performance.

Last edited by David70; 06-09-2020 at 07:13 AM..
Efthreeoh17164.50