08-24-2016, 07:28 AM   #86
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

You should stick to tangible redemption cards first if you're a newbie, mostly hotel credit cards that gives you free nights. For example:

1. Marriott Rewards Credit Card - $75 annual fee - gets you 1 free night every year + 75,000 Marriott points (about 6 free nights at Marriott). You can you transfer Marriott points into airline points, etc, but most people don't and you take a hit on the points as it's not a 1:1 transfer.

As you can see with both credit cards, the annual fee, while not waived on years 2 and beyond, pays for itself with free hotel stays. The bare minimum you'll spend in any Marriott or Hyatt brand is $90-$150 per night. So in other ways, you can see it as prepaying at a discounted rate for that hotel stay once a year.

I have a kid right now, and we do much less travelling, and I still find ways to at least use the free night every year, b/c we do go to weddings, or sometimes I pay for my parents' stay somewhere, etc.
I am a Mariott Rewards member and have thought about getting this card.

Couple of things - $85 a year, 80,000 points, one free night is after the first year so 1st year the points, 2nd year free night. Only way you are staying anywhere close to 6 nights is not at a Mariott but maybe one their cheapest brands if you book way in advance and stay rural.