Captain
Sweden
Rep

Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've spent the last 15 years of my professional career in the field of aviation surveillance, working directly with the FAA, so I know the flight side quite well. Earlier in my professional career I worked on manufacturing thrust reversers for GE aircraft jet engines, so I know very well the flight certification process of FAA-approved aircraft hardware. Even if an alternate "jet engine" that used hydrogen or electricity were introduced today, it would take over a decade to get flight certified and then two more decades to change the world's jet fleet to non-combustion jet powered flight. So, we can dream electric airplanes are right on the heels of the magical solid state EV battery but in reality, they are not. There is no substitution for the energy density carbon-based fuel has. It is stupid not to continue use of inexpensive, high energy dense fuels for on-board energy storage for transportation vehicles, especially airplanes.

And your analogy that the Earth is just a very large garage is just incorrect. The Earth recycles CO2 and other GHG by recombining with other elements. Photosynthesis is one such chemical process that recycles CO2. Staying in a closed garage while an ICE is running is not the same as running trillions of ICE in the Earth's atmosphere. The argument against human-generated ICE CO2 emissions is how it affects the Earth's greenhouse gas effect and theoretically increases the Earth's mean temperature over the millenniums to a point that will make the planet uninhabitable. Your analogy of the garage is a gas in high concentration reduces the available oxygen for the human to breathe NOT because the temperature of the garage gets too hot for the human to survive. You are in fear of a made-up scenario that will never come to fruition. Stop listening to fear mongers and try to use science and logic if you are concerned of such things like (anthropogenic) climate change. The 8 billion humans on the planet are exhaling trillions of tons of CO2 every second of the day; the billions of other animals on the planet are too.

Try to get some sleep, the Earth is not dying.

And because of the long process of certification for these type of flights the faster they have to come up with the solution and not keep using jet fuel for that if it takes as you say a decade to get a flight certified then the faster we put EV flights in to action for the long process for certification the better it should rather have be done yester year and not now.

Yet we are seeing the battery tech evolve faster then the combustion technology have done for the last 100 years so that speaks lengths for the coming tech compared to combustion.

If we aren't putting out so much more Co2 compared to what the earth can handle and recycle and yeah don't get me wrong earth will be fine we on the other hand won't, And so far research is showing that unfortunately we are putting out more C02 then the earth can handle at this current rate we are in for a bad time.

But then again i hardly believe that c02 is the only issue, its one small issue in the magnitude of many in terms of what we are releasing out in to our atmosphere. So don't get me wrong or mistaken for a crazy green cause i truly don't believe in their doomsday prophecy if you would have read my post correctly you would have seen that, nor do i believe that everyone or every place on earth is going full electric it is not realistic nor feasible right now, but investing in ICE technology witch is old tech and a technology that we have to put behind us sooner then later because it is truly unmodern using that type of fuel to propel us forward when there is far better options as i have stated earlier, then keep using this old tech if they could have developed ICE engines with zero emissions they would have but unfortunately they can't and so it should be put to the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Why does the Ford Mustang and F150, or the Chevy Camaro and Silverado not all come with a Prius-like 1.8 liter hybrid?

Because they can't make one, or because they won't be able to sell them?

The Rav 4 hybrid MPG comes in a 41/38 city/highway with a 2.5 liter at 219 HP.

The Prius comes in at 58/53 and uses a 1.8 liter at 121 HP.

Why put a less efficient more powerful engine in the RAV when they have a "better and greener" engine? Because that's what people want... It's not a lack of tech or some missing/future breakthrough.

It seems those average RAV4 buyers want that extra 100 HP.

In the last 10 years, the tesla platform and all of it's advancements and revisions in that time has only improved KWH/Kilograms by 10%, and increased the size of the largest battery available by just 12%.

They can make a battery bigger just by adding cells, but that's then like saying I can make a plane fly further by putting in a bigger fuel tank. That's not a scientific advancement, it's simple physics of scaling, and you get diminishing returns on efficiency when you do that.

At the current 10% per year energy density improvement, we are 80-120 years away from getting where we want to be on power to weight of battery tech replacing liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
Because they are afraid of the bad reviews from old dino journalist so they haven't taken that step yet but should probably sens people will still buy the trucks.

The Rav4 hybrid is a "slow" car as you would put it nor is it the best looking out there, still it is the US most sold car and your most sold truck is still the pickups witch will be coming with EV drivetrain soon, just as the Rivian is here and the F150 lightning also comes in EV its a matter of marketing more then anything else when it comes to cars like this to get the masses to switch.

Most people as i have stated before do not go for a performance car that is mostly forums like this and its members, witch is a minority when it comes to sales of cars, even if people on this forums were buying 2-3 cars at once and all were performance cars it would still be a minimal bump in their sales compared to the big masses of other cars they sell with smaller engines more often then the big ones. So my point on this still stands more true then before people choose cars that mostly looks good but the biggest selling is if the car has the right colour then anything else.

When it comes to development of battery you are talking about Tesla like there hasn't been any advancement made in battery tech in the last few years witch isn't true, we are more then likely closer to 600 miles EV then not, we have seen Mercedes already done it with current tech, we will see BMW get there fast, and i will still go by the word from Northvolt Engineers that work here in my town of Vasteras where they are developing the battery's and they will most certainly disagree with your assessment of that battery tech hasn't developed in the last few years or as you put it won't develop.

Again every 5 years double the capacity while reducing its weight will be the norm.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
BGM-M3COMP2328.00