09-23-2022, 03:54 PM   #162
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep

Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Isn't it better if we can use the Oil for all the other stuff that we are using it for instead of wasting it out of the cars exhaust?

Our world is far from being independence of oil and it will take a long time to replace everything with alternatives that we are using the oil for today.

We are using Oil for our plastics, clothing, furniture, insulation, kitchenware, food production, construction

Isn't it better to keep the oil "cheap" for those alternatives instead of wasting in our cars to propels forward.

For example in food production we are using fertilizer that depends on petroleum better to keep it for that then for something else.

If oil is a super finite resource although i believe it is more likely to be more abundant then they say but just that it gets harder to extract and to get to more oil we have to use more brute methods to extract it from the hard to reach places instead of keeping those oil wells/springs that we have for better use.

Diesel have gotten a way to bad rep i agree on that diesels are a proper good options especially if we can get HVO on a larger scale then that would be preferable.

Even if current generation of batteries aint optimal for density then the current fuels we are seeing far more improvements on that tech then we have seen in the last 100 years of petrol/diesel. And EVs are far more efficient compared to regular cars.

While Petrol/Diesel cant be reused out of the engine we can reuse batteries even when they go "bad" we can still use them until needed to be scrapped and recycled.

Again i am a strong believer that oil will be with us for a long time and i don't think we cant replace everything oil based in the next 100-300 years. But cars can be run on alternative fuels and any transportation for that matter.

Imagine if we could get large ship/vessels to run on something else then having to fill up their tanks with loads of different fuel's depending on where they are on the world oceans due to different regulations for different zones. If that isn't a waste then i don't know what.

Correct but also incorrect you are talking about people who more or less, wants cars to be performance orientated then anything else. Those are a minority i can only speak for those in my social ring and around that loads of them they couldn't care less if the car "sucks" to drive as long as it looks fast and takes them from A-B but that doesn't make EVs suck in terms of driving experience because it doesn't but to be fair i agree today's EVs are way to heavy to be considered "enthusiast" car or driven on the track but that will change especially with newer batteries improving on the weight and range in the coming 5-30 years witch isn't a long time they will from now on double or tipple in range capacity in some cases, while reducing weight at the same time and improving charging times.

But for the average Joe who likes his/hers car to look fast but doesn't really care on how it drives today's EVs are more then well enough, as long as they don't make them all look like spaceships from the future. Thats why the i4 m50 is going to be one of BMWs best selling "M-Product" lets not mistake that for a proper M-Car thats a different thing.
Exactly.

I would say probably 90% of the people who buy cars, even if it's performance, still want an A to B car. We only make up the 10% that are emotionally tied to whatever car we currently own, or might've owned (that we would buy again) etc. That's why people still hang on to their old toys. Even though the technology and performance is ancient to keep up with modern times.

There's only a couple of people at my job who like cars but they're not invested the way i am in terms of being an actual "car guy" and they ALL LOVE my model 3. So much that they want to get one. I gave them rides and that was it. The smoothness of it. The quietness, the rapid acceleration to zip around town is all you need.

The issue with debating with certain people is that they change up their argument when they're losing. If you bring up fast 0-60 times, now they want to talk about track times. If you bring up 60-130 times, now they say it's too dangerous and who drives at those speeds. When you bring up track times, then they say, yeah but who is really tracking their car on a daily basis?

It never ends. The fact is, the automotive industry is constantly improving and constantly changing. I do agree putting a 2035 date on all this seems a bit much but at the same time, we're transitioning the way we would've anyway even if they DID NOT mention a 2035 ban. So idk why people are getting upset.

I totally agree on the oil thing. We have enough oil to last us generations. It's not like it's almost finished and we need to scramble for another source.

I believe instead of putting a 2035 ban, put a huge restriction on ICE instead.

Let people use their ICE for recreational purposes only, like on the weekend, and everyone will drive their EV monday-friday.

Or put a mileage limitation on their ICE cars. That will make most people convert to EV and those who are true ICE fans, will keep their ICE for the weekend. Almost like a lease mileage limit. Like 3000 miles per year @ x amount of dollars. 5000 miles per year @ x amount of dollars to drive your ICE car etc.