View Single Post
      05-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #59
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
I can't stand these slushbox comparisons to dual clutch boxes. I've worked for BMW & Porsche for almost the last two decades, and my 10th BMW arrives in June. Not tooting my own horn here, just conveying my professional and personal experience for perspective.

No torque converter box is anywhere close to matching a dual clutch box when it comes to shift times and rev matching. I haven't driven a new M5 yet, but I don't need to. All those "journalists" saying you won't miss the DCT in the M5 are off their rockers. Drove a new X5M recently, great car, trans is still lacking from a performance standpoint, but acceptable for a performance SAV/SUV.

DCT boxes have come a very long way, as has PDK boxes. PDK boxes have virtually eliminated any of the old herky-jerky in city driving. DCT still needs some improvements in this area, but it's hardly as bad as any of the old SMG's or early dual clutch boxes. I drive PDK Panamera's, 911's, & 718's every day in traffic. They are every bit as comfortable and smooth as the ZF 8 speed is in our 2019 330i xDrive touring with the sport automatic. PDK upshifts are faster AND smoother than the ZF 8 speed, and the downshifts are waaaay faster and smoother. I can't even say that the ZF is better just rolling down the highway.

Side note, the great ratios between 5th-6th in the ZF are just too far apart. I realize 6-8 are overdrive gears, but the gap is too much b/t 5-6. It annoys the hell out of me.

Long story short, if some executive feels a current dual clutch box is too harsh, they bought the wrong car. That's why the 550 exists.
If I was sober I would type the exact same thing (apart from the Porsche daily experience )

The reason I got my M6 was that it had a V8 and a dual clutch. This was important to me and out weighed every other positive that other manufacturers could bring to the table.

I have driven the F90 a bit and while the gearbox is good, I feel like it is now just an Audi RS4/5/6/7 with a BMW logo.