07-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #38
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I agree, to a degree, but it'll depend on which end of the zoom that you're working. At 70mm you can get results with only a little softness, but you have to think and concentrate as if you're shooting at 200mm. This is why I like the 70-200 f4 L IS so much. The lightness and IS offset the 2-stops of speed lost in many (most?) situations.

Without IS, you'll surely want a good monopod. (Love my CF Manfrotto). You may look a little geeky, but it sure sharpens things up.

Dave
hey Dave, I think we're on the same side.. I'm the one who is saying 70-200mm f4 IS is a good enough/sharp enough lens for everyday use. (not as a walk-around, but as a everyday use lens) Walk-around, you need something like 24-70, or 24-105 or 17-55 etc..

I agree that the IS really makes a difference in low-lit situation, almost enough to offset the 1 extra stop. Also, for me, I could have gotten the f2.8 IS, but it is just the weight of f2.8 and there is no way in hell I'm gonna take that out on my leisure/travel trips.. just way too heavy.

(PS. 70-200 f4 is almost exactly half the weight of f2.8 IS!! 1.7lb vs 3.2lb !!!)

I am pro-IS myself, but lets face it. some of the best lens usually dont have IS...

2008 E92 335i (sold)