View Single Post
      02-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #6576
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: white 135

Moms new TV setup as done by me

So, this house was built in 1999. This cabinet is a part of the house. It was built to take about a 27-29" tube TV. And it has housed one since the house was built.

Mom says "I want Netflix"

I say, "can't be done on that TV"

Next thing I know, I've picked up a 40" (as per her request) an extending arm so that the TV sits out the front of the cabinet, a blueray player, and (this is my addition because she keeps complaining about the satellite) a Boxee.

Took cabinet doors off, modified extending arm so that it would take more screws for anchoring to the wall. The wall doesn't have a stud behind where the TV is, but the wood is 1.5 inches thick. Cut 2x4 and put behind bracket with wall to help spread weight of unit further as well as hold more bolts

End result is this. I'm not 100% happpy about how it looks, but that just might be because I'm used to seeing open cabinet doors sticking out the side.

sorry for cell phone picture.

P.S. I made it so the shelves inside the unit match up with the top and bottom of the TV, so you can see no wires or the large bracket holding the TV. That part worked out pretty well
Attached Images