nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
So my Audi started shaking and feeling like it was misfiring all of a sudden one afternoon - tried to limp it to the dealer but died completely halfway there, so had to tow it the rest of the way.

Dealer says the turbos are cooked (twin turbo v8), I've been out of warranty for about 6 months now, so technically I'm on the hook and the dealer wants $16K to repair.

So right now I'm trying for a goodwill repair by Audi since it is so close to warranty expiration - we'll see. Not a bill I particularly wish to foot.

Sadly, my research prior to buying this car indicated this could be a problem - some owners were experiencing blown turbos and some were fine - those that blew the turbos all said it was due to a clogged filter in the oil line feeding the turbos, but it wasn't yet common enough for Audi to do a recall.

So I knew this going into it, but took a gamble hoping I wouldn't be one of the ones affected...but I was. That said, I'd do it again, because the cost to change out the filter would have been about $2-3K (primarily all labour, filter is super cheap) because they have to rip everything apart to get to the filter. And that would be out of pocket, without knowing if I would even be one of the ones with a problematic filter.

Fingers crossed Audi covers this!
im sure Audi will do right thing if they want to keep customer.
what if you purchase extended warranty to cover turbos, im sure its alot cheaper then coughing up $16k