View Single Post
      10-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #17
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I agree that people should tip in the US if the person being tipped is in a position that relies on tips. I just regret that it has to happen at all.

https://scholarship.sha.cornell.edu/...ntext=articles
"The good news in this analysis is that—consistent with restaurant managers' assumptions, psychologists' theories, and consumers' selfreports—the studies showed a positive and statistically significant relationship between tips and service evaluations. The unsettling news is that the relationship was weak in the sense that differences between service levels in the average (or median) tip were small while differences within service levels in the tips left by different dining parties were large. Those findings have disheartening implications for restaurant managers who seek to use tips to motivate servers, measure server performance, or identify dissatisfied customers."

That link compares the size of the tip to the quality of service provided. Trying to argue that the size of the tip does not make the quality of service you received better. I agree. One person tipping big does not make the waitress treat others better, if those others do not tip. However, I am not talking about one person tipping $50, but 10 people tipping $5. Those are both equal size tips the waitress earned, but quite different outcomes. A waitress will do a better job when it's 10 people to serve well to make $50. Not when it's 1 person out of 10 that tips $50.

But also, that's not the point I made. The point I made is that showing appreciation for people encourages them to treat you (and others) well and continue doing it. To praise good behaviour. It's actually the preferred method, because the opposite (punishing bad behaviour) leads to defecting.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 10-24-2020 at 12:08 AM..
MKSixer34184.50