View Single Post
      10-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep

Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
As a matter of fact it did... I am almost certain anyone in this field (maybe even Luca Badoer) would have done well in Jenson's car for the first 8 races...
To be fair, Badoer couldn't even stay within a second per lap of the field when the F60 reached its peak.

I believe it was a combination of double diffusors and the other teams just having terrible cars at the beginning. Red Bull wasn't using the DD but Vettel was in 3rd in the Australian GP until Kubica tried to make the pass. BMW wasn't using a DD either. So you can't simplify an entire season to DDs.

The second half of the season, if Webber and Vettel could actually finish races in a consistent point-scoring position, there's no doubt in my mind RBR would've won. They had engine reliabilty issues and Webber couldn't qualify worth a damn.

To win a WDC, you need good, consistent driving, and a good, consistent car. Button had these, thus, he is the WDC. Button has finished in the points in every single race except in Belgium, where he had a DNF through no fault of his own. Who else has done that?

Looking at the past few WDCs, here's a breakdown of wins, DNFs, and finishes outside the points:

Driver Wins DNF Outside Point
Button 6 1 0
Hamilton 5 1 3
Raikkonen 6 2 0
Alonso('06) 7 2 0
Alonso('05) 7 2 1

So, he's not as bad as you're making him out to be. Whether his wins come at the same time or spread through the season, a win is a win.