03-25-2024, 08:16 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasted View Post
Hey everyone, I’m currently 17 and have saved up enough to afford the mk5 supra, m340i, etc. Just things in those price range. The thing is I would also be making content off one of these cars and modding the crap out of them so try to keep that in mind please. Currently in between the supra, m340i, or m440i. Or should I just save up for an g82 m4 ? So I was wondering which car you guys think you would choose if you were in my boots. Take into consideration that I am still in highschool and need to have a car I can drive everyday but also want to have fun and make my car look great. I would love all opinions and thanks !
If you intend to make content from the car get a car that will draw the most clicks. Is that an M car? Are M car owners or wanna be M car owners your audience?

Also, unless your mod's will be limited to very simple mods you will not have a car you will be able to drive every day. You need to have a 2nd vehicle, a daily driver.

And back when I was mod'ing a car -- for occasional auto-cross usage -- about every mod had me at the tools store stocking up on what tools I would need. I was working full time and had a pretty good job. (Which a few years later turned out to be not so good with the work leaving the area (San Jose CA area) for lower cost regions in the US, or overseas, and I had to return to school to prepare for a career change. Which successful but as it turned out in around 10 years I was faced with having to make another career change. Which I did. Fortunately this one lasted me the next 30 years.)

Making content is from what I gather 2nd hand is pretty much a full time job. Doing whatever you think is worth filming, and at the same time handling filming. Then comes editing.

(Years ago I was friends with a couple who traveled and took pictures and videos. The was before the internet so it was just for sharing with family and friends. Viewed the photo albums and some videos. They were quite well done. I asked the woman -- she did most of the picture taking/filming -- how she managed to get just the right shot, the right bit of video? Her answer: "Editing. Lots and lots of editing.")

At 17 you have high school to think about and then what comes next after high school. Your choices now will have a huge influence on the rest of your life. Choose wisely.